Memorial Fund at Empire Bank
A family member opened up a fund at Empire Bank for the family of Hailey Owens. Visit any Empire Bank location to donate. Call 881-3100 for more information about the fund.
From the Springfield Public Schools
"As three of our schools have been directly impacted by a recent event, The SPS guidance and counseling department shares the following tips for parents to help students who are experiencing crisis."
• Keep your child informed and updated. Children need to feel involved and as in control as much as possible.
• Watch for signs of distress. Loss of appetite, aggression, acting out, being withdrawn, sleeping disordered and other behavior changes can indicate problems.
• Send your child to school if possible. The stability and routine of a familiar situation will help young people feel more secure.
• Remember that everyone reacts to stress and/or grief in different ways. There is no one way to act in a crisis situation.
• Allow children the opportunity to express feelings. It is important to validate these feelings.
• A good diet and plenty of exercise are important for children who are under stress. Encourage your child to eat well and get plenty of exercise.
• Be honest about your own concerns, but stress your and your child's ability to cope with the situation.
• Respect a child's need to grieve.
• Provide somewhere private and quiet for your child to go.
• Be available and listen to your child.
• Remember to take care of yourself.